Urgent PC is an office-based neuromodulation treatment that delivers PTNS. PTNS stands for Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation. Urgent PC is used to treat Overactive Bladder (OAB), Urgency of Urination, Urge Incontinence, Urinary Frequency, and Nocturia.
OAB affects both men and women at a rate of approximately 1 in 6 adults. According to Mayo Clinic, you are considered to have OAB if you:
- Feel a sudden urge to urinate that is difficult to control
- Experience urgency of urination (urgent need to urinate)
- Experience urge incontinence (immediate and involuntary loss of urine)
- Experience urinary frequency (urinate 8 or more times per day)
- Wake up 2 or more times in a night to urinate (this is also called Nocturia) Although you may be able to get to the toilet in tile when you sense an urge to urinate, unexpected frequent urination and nighttime urination can disrupt your life.
If you have an overactive bladder, you may feel embarrassed, isolate yourself, or limit your work and social life. Did you know that you don’t have to live life feeling embarrassed? Urgent PC can help!
Urgent PC is effective for 60-80% of patients. Most patients showed a decrease from 9 to 3 daily episodes of urgency. Their number of accidents dropped from approximately 4 to nearly 0 episodes!
How does Urgent PC work?
During a regular, in-office visit, you will sit in a comfortable position with your leg elevated. A small, slim needle electrode will be inserted near your ankle. This electrode is connected to a battery-powered stimulator which will send mild impulses through the electrode, along your leg, and to the nerves in your pelvis that controls the function of your bladder. This treatment is painless; most patients reported feeling a tingling sensation on their leg. You will have 12 sessions with Urgent PC once every week. Results have been reported after 5-7 weeks of starting Urgent PC treatment.
If you have any questions or to schedule an appointment, call our office at 516-365-6167.